Jet Ski rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne
The “Jet Ski” is technically the brand name of a personal watercraft manufactured by Kawasaki and use for rentals in Miami Beach Key Biscayne, however it is commonly used in English to refer to a small watercraft of this style of any type, and it is also used as verb to describe the use of this type of water vehicle. Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Typically can carry 1-2 people seated in a configuration more like a typical bike or motorcycle. Jet ski rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne
It was the “first commercially successful” and used for rentals personal jet ski in America and Miami Beach Key Biscayne, having been released in 1972 (after reaching a license agreement with the inventor of the Jet Ski, Clayton Jacobson II when his license agreement with Bombardier expired). Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. The term is sometimes used generically to refer to any type of personal watercraft in Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Most people don’t realize that Jet Ski is really a brand name for Kawasaki or WaveRunner is a brand name for Yamaha. It’s like calling every copier a Xerox even when it was made by another manufacturer like Canon or Hewlett Packard. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Somehow the name jet ski or wave runner became synonymous with a personal watercraft in Miami Beach Key Biscayne. So if I don’t refer to the particular brand you’re considering like SeaDoo, WaveRunner, Jet Ski, Polaris, Honda or some other obscure brand, let’s agree that Jet Ski will mean any kind of personal watercraft you ride on the water for rentals in Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
Okay, during the summer, the allure of riding a jet ski is just too tempting. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Jet ski rentals can be very expensive and, depending on where you do the rentals, can not only cost you lots of cash, they can also come with rules on where you can ride, how far you can ride and how fast you can go in Miami Beach Key Biscayne. So instead, you’re ready to buy a jet ski. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Now unless you are ready to agree to spend anywhere from $7,000 for a new stand-up to over $15,000 for turbo-charged tons of bells and whistles 3-seater 4-stroke watercraft, you plan to buy one used or go for rentals in Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
Craigslist is full of ads with people selling used jet skis in Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. And every summer, I would have people bring me jet skis in Miami Beach Key Biscayne that they bought thinking they were getting a good deal but the jet ski didn’t run or quit after the first time they rode it. Many jet skis don’t have hour meters on them, so you won’t know how much the jet ski has been used in Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. This means you’ll need to be observant and ask the right questions.
So here are the top ten things you should know before you buy a used jet ski in Miami Beach Key Biscayne:
- Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne: Is it legal to use this kind of watercraft where you intend to use it? Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Make sure you know what kind of watercraft is legal for where you plan to ride. Many bodies of water are now restricting the type of motors that can be used on certain waterways.
- For example, Lake Tahoe banned 2-stroke motors on both boats and jet skis from use on the lake in 2005. Hawaii has restrictions on where you can ride and how far from the shore you must go before you can ride in the ocean around each of the islands. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. After the end of this summer 2012, 2-stroke motors are banned from Lake Mead in Las Vegas, Nevada. Miami Beach Key Biscayne. So if you were planning to buy a 2-stroke watercraft here in Las Vegas, you wouldn’t be able to use it on the lake after the end of this summer.
- Not sure what the rule is? Call the Park Service or Harbor Master when you intend to use your watercraft to see what the rules are. Miami Beach Key Biscayne. This could save you lots of money from buying something you won’t be able to use for more than a few months. Jet ski rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne
- Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne: You need a title. If the seller doesn’t have a title, don’t buy it. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Pretty much in every state, you are required to register your watercraft before you take it on any waterway, lake, river, or ocean. Miami Beach Key Biscayne. If the seller doesn’t have a title, DON’T BUY IT! Whether or not the seller lost it or never had one, if you don’t have a title, you won’t be able to use it. Also, when presented with a title, make sure to verify the VIN number or HIN number on the hull matches the one on the title. Most watercrafts display the number on a sticker or plastic tab or have the number embossed on the back of the watercraft somewhere near the exhaust or drain plugs.
- Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Also, some watercraft has a second ID tag connected to the hull and be found under the battery, below the battery box, or under the fuel tank. It’s important to make sure the numbers don’t look tampered with. Miami Beach Key Biscayne. This is a huge red flag. So NO TITLE or UNMATCHED ID NUMBERS, DON’T BUY IT! If the seller really lost the title, make sure he gets it before you give him any money. He may be giving you a good deal because he doesn’t have a title. The watercraft is not worth $1 without a title, PERIOD! Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
Rust and corrosion
Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne: Rust and corrosion are BAD! Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. When looking at the motor, look to see if the bolts or fittings have rust or corrosion on them. Corrosion is often caused by the watercraft being used in saltwater and not being hosed off after riding it. It is also caused by the motor not drying out between uses. Corrosion on the outside could indicate corrosion on the inside which could cause major engine damage. Jet ski rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne
- Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne: Make sure the jet ski STARTS. If the seller gives you a sad story that the jet ski runs great but needs a battery, you have two choices: Either take a battery with you OR walk away. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. You can start a jet ski and run it out of the water up to 1-minute max to at least make sure it starts. You can also connect a water hose to the cooling system (with a flush kit) and turn it on AFTER you started the jet ski so it doesn’t overheat.
- Also, turn the water off BEFORE you turn the engine off. Miami Beach Key Biscayne. This keeps the motor cool and doesn’t flood it with water which can ruin a jet ski motor. NEVER run the water without the jet ski motor running. NEVER! If you have a compression gauge and know how to use one, now is a good time to use it. Compression that varies more than 10 degrees between the cylinders may be a concern. Jet ski rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne
- Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne: Look for water leaks. When the motor is running with the hose hooked up to the cooling system, look for water leaks inside the hull coming from the head, the exhaust or any hoses inside the hull. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. This could indicate prior damage, bad seals or gaskets, old or cracked hoses or loose fittings. This will tell you if the jet ski has been serviced regularly, hoses replaced periodically, and all the fittings tightened and lubed as part of their regular maintenance.
- Also, make sure there are no oil leaks in the motor. Miami Beach Key Biscayne. It’s not uncommon for someone to spill oil when filling the tank resulting in some oil in the bottom of the jet ski hull or bilge, but you don’t want to see oil dripping or evidence that it has leaked from the motor or fittings. Oil also helps keep the motor cool and an overheated jet ski will usually just stop, stranding you in the middle of nowhere with no way to get back to shore without a tow. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
- Also, look for exhaust smoke inside the hull. This is not where it’s supposed to be. This indicates the exhaust system is leaking into the hull, and when the hood or cover is on, the jet ski will only run for about 5 minutes, also causing you to get stranded in the middle of the lake or ocean. Jet ski rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne
- Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne: Look for loose wires. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Loose wires can make the jet ski start and stop at very inopportune times. Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Make sure the terminals are secure on the battery and no bare wires are hanging out which can cause the electronics to short out. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. This can fry your starter and the ignition and/or electronics on the jet ski. Also, make sure the wires are taped up properly. Water can corrode the wiring and cause the jet ski to not run properly if at all. Jet ski rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne
- Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne: The head should not look burnt. A motor that has been overheated often turns the color of the head a different color. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. No, I don’t mean it will turn it blue or some other custom color. I mean if the motor is white and the head is tan or light brown, there’s a good chance the motor overheated and may have some major engine damage. Also, check out the color of the exhaust, it should also not look like it’s been toasted. A good mechanic needs to evaluate the head, cylinder and exhaust system for rebuild or possible replacement of the motor. Unless you’re a professional or experienced mechanic, you should pass on this watercraft. Jet ski rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne
- Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne: Pump & impeller need good blades. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. This step requires you willing to crawl around the jet ski a little bit, but it can be very costly if you don’t do this step. Lean down and look into the pump from the back of the jet ski with a flashlight (this is what makes the jet ski go). You should be able to see in the pump and not see any rocks or debris, and the stationary vanes in the pump housing should be in good condition. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
If you look at the pump from the other side (you can get to it from the bottom of the watercraft through the intake grate with the flashlight, you will be able to see the impeller, there shouldn’t be anything wrapped around it like plastic bags, tow ropes or fishing line. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Also, you should be able to see the impeller (that looks like an outboard blade but it’s tucked neatly inside the pump). Miami Beach Key Biscayne All the blades should be whole with no chunks missing or chewed edges. Also, a clogged pump can make the motor overheat causing the head to warp and damaging the pistons in the motor. A bad impeller means the jet ski has been ridden onto the beach or allowed to suck up sand and rocks into the pump. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
A damaged impeller also causes the jet ski to not be very efficient and won’t go very fast. You can also use a flashlight into the nozzle from the back of the jet ski, looking into the pump to check the clearance around the impeller. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. If you see huge gaps, this is not good. The clearance should be nice and tight. A new pump and/or impeller is a major repair and can be rather costly.
A replacement pump and possibly impeller can cost anywhere from a few hundred to well over a thousand dollars. Miami Beach Key Biscayne. A damaged intake grate that is broken (this is what scoops up the water into the pump) may cause drag and should be replaced. Jet ski rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne
- Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne: Check the hull including the bottom. Walk around the entire watercraft. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. If you see big chunks of gel coat missing and can see the fiberglass coming through, this is a concern. If a hull has a big weak spot, it can crack and fail possibly while you’re riding it. Even though you’re in the water, the motor needs to stay dry while you’re riding it. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
Also, make sure you look at the entire bottom of the boat. Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Older jet skis will have some wear along the keel of the hull, but it shouldn’t have any holes, major cracks or big dents. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. A major crack is something that gives when you push it. Also, if the hull looks like it’s been repaired from some kind of damage, it’s important the repair was done correctly and with the right materials. Some jet skis are made of fiberglass and gelcoat, others polyester resin.
Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Car bondo may work find on a car fender but it’s not meant for fixing a jet ski. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. A jet ski rental company (that shall remain nameless) used to fix the damage in the hulls with car bondo, then paint over the repair. One renter was riding on the jet ski and started sinking because the repair fell out, causing the jet ski hull to fill with water. Don’t let this be you. Jet ski rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne
- Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne: Last, make sure you know how to use the boat. Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Make sure you understand how to start and stop the jet ski, whether or not this jet ski has reverse and how that works. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne. Where is the kill button? Which way do you turn the jet ski upright if you flip over in the water? Does it have a fire extinguisher and safety flag? Does it have the tether? (Newer jet skis have tethers that may lose their programming if dropped in the water, so make sure this one clips to your life vest as well as the jet ski). Jet ski rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne
If all of these things check out, and you feel it’s a great price, then buy it. Go out and get wet. It’s hot outside. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
Lots of people wish to have a jet ski on their boat. This is one of the best things you can experience and one of the worst nightmares for boat owners that have them on board. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
If you ever used Jet Ski before you probably know it is:
- a) Lots of Fun. Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
- b) Very Fast. Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
- c) With powerful engine. Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
- d) And the very hard thing to use “in slow motion”. Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
If you use Jet Ski you will go fast. You will push it to the limit. And you will try to do crazy stuff with it. Everybody that is saying differently has either not used it before, or is lying.
Lots of boats (especially in a luxury and deluxe category) are equipped with jet ski nowadays but every time we talk with boat owners that have this on board they all say the same 3 things. Jet ski rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne
So here they are…3 things you need to know about having a JET SKI on a boat.
- If you wish to drive the jet ski on your own you need a special license! Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne:
Driving a Jet Ski is not the same as riding a bike. You need to have a special driving license to drive a JET SKI and lots of people are not aware of this. Jet ski rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne
So they rent a boat because she has a JET SKI on board and then goes crazy when they see they should not use it on their own. Rentals Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
Lots of times boat owners back down and still give the JET SKI to clients (which are very wrong) and as accidents happen most of the times at the most inappropriate times – they usually happen to people with good paperwork.
And if client hurts himself and he does not have a license, big problem. Miami Beach Key Biscayne
- You cannot use the jet ski wherever you wish! Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne:
Most of the times you can only use the JET SKI in some special areas or far away from the beach. And unfortunately, people do not seem to care too much about this rule.
So a person goes crazy with the JET SKI close to the shore, and BANG!!!:
- a) he hits a swimmer with the jet ski (you can go to jail for this)
- b) he gets caught by the police (the penalties are huge both the client and for the owner)
- Because of too much speed with the jet ski lots of clients hurt themselves. Rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne:
Every boat owner that has a JET SKI is on average in hospital at least 2.3 times/year. And this is very annoying for the client who is hurt, for the boat owner that has to organize everything and for the rest of the group and it always ruins the holidays of the other part of the group. Jet ski rentals near me Miami Beach Key Biscayne
So JET SKI is most of the time much more pain than joy. But of course, this does not have to be the case. Miami Beach Key Biscayne.
Miami Beach •Key Largo •South Beach • Miami Gardens Aventura • Bal Harbour • Bay Harbor Islands • Biscayne Park • Carol City • Coral Gables • Cutler Bay • Cutler Ridge • Doral • El Portal • Fisher Island • Florida City • Golden Beach • Hialeah • Hialeah Gardens • home Coral Gables stead • Indian Creek • Islandia • Key Biscayne • Medley • Miami •Key Largo •South Beach • Miami Lakes • Miami Shores • Miami Springs • Naranja • North Bay Village • North Miami • North Miami Beach • Ojus • Opa-Locka • Palmetto Bay • Perrine • Pinecrest • Pinecrest / Monroe Co. • South Miami • Sunny Isles • Surfside • Sweetwater • Universal Park • Virginia Gardens • West Miami •Key Largo •South Beach